This is My Story

Post your Christian poetry here.
Marjorie Johnston
Registered Member

This is My Story

Post by Marjorie Johnston » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:35 pm

My family doctor told me that I was "morbidly obese". One month before my 52nd birthday on February 20, 2009 he referred me to Dr. Poon's Metabolic Weight Loss Clinic. I am 5 foot 2 inches with a standard body type. The desirable body fat range for me is 23% to 34% with a target of 25 BMI and a predicted weight of 140 pounds, with more than 130 pounds of fat to lose. I now weigh less than when I was 13 years old. I am now 55 years and I have lost 52% of my weight. I followed a diet reduced in carbohydrates, fat, salt, and portion size. In August 2009 I joined the GoodLife Fitness Club. Now my goal is to lose 1 pound per week for 8 weeks, with maintenance to stay below 150 pounds for the rest of my life.

Date: January 23, 2009
Weight: 307.4 lb.
BMI: 54.5
Fat %: 56.0 %
BMR: 8581 kJ / 2051 kcal.
Impedance: 384
Fat Mass: 172.2 lb.
Water weight: 99.0 lb.

Date: October 18, 2012
Weight: 146.5 lb.
BMI: 26.8
Fat%: 29.6 %
BMR: 5552 kJ / 1327 kcal.
Impedance: 441
Fat Mass: 43.5 lb.
Water weight: 75.5 lb.

I used a CPAP machine because I stopped breathing for an average of 15 seconds every minute during sleep. (That means I stopped breathing for 2 hours out of 8 hours sleep!) I also had type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high triglycerides. On April 22, 2004 my heart stopped twice while I was on the operating table. Since I lost 5.5 inches around my neck, I no longer suffer from sleep apnea and I am off Metformin for diabetes. My blood pressure medication Avapro has been reduced to 75 mg, and my cholesterol level is normal with 20 mg Lipitor for maintenance. In March 2010 I was afflicted by inflammatory arthritis in both knees and my left foot for one year. I transitioned from being bedridden and using a wheel chair, to using a walker, then a cane, and now I walk the dog for more than hour per day. If I was encumbered by another 160 pounds, surely I would have been confined to a wheel chair. During my recovery from arthritis, the Aquafit classes were fundamental in my physiotherapy – now they are just fun!

I thank God my Healer, with a heart filled with gratitude for the simple pleasure of being able to walk. My husband, with my friends at church and work, along with my doctors, and the Club, have been a steady source of encouragement to me. I have developed a healthy lifestyle of diet and exercise which will be necessary for weight maintenance.

This morning I read Philippians 2: 13
"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure."
So I will achieve 25 BMI by December 12th, with the help of God!

I like the date: 12/12/12 as a goal. It puts me in mind of the Trinity: three twelves. Twelve is very significant in the Bible with the 12 Apostles, and the 12 foundations in the New Jerusalem. 12 = 3 x 4 where three is the Trinity. I forget what 4 represents, but on the fourth day, God created the sun, moon, and stars, and divided the light from the darkness. Now 12 also = 2 x 6 where two is for the testimony and six represents man (because God created man on the sixth day). Therefore, when I reach my goal it will be a wo-man's testimonyIt will be my story!

Mom would have been 98 on December 10th this year. She went home to be with Jesus on Christmas eve 2010. In August 2009, Mom had a dream where she saw me with a "wasp waist" (that means "thin"). At that time, I had lost only 40 pounds and still weighed 267 pounds. In her dream, she asked me "However did you do it?", but I just smiled. Then she woke up. When she told me this dream -- I told her to go back to sleep and finish the dream, and to make sure that I told her how I would be able to do that! So, it would be significant to me if I achieved my goal of 25 BMI on Mom's birthdate December 10th, 2012 -- but I would accept the greater significance of achieving it two days later. Either way, I will achieve my goal -- and it will be my testimony! The fact that my Mother had this dream was a tremendous encouragement for me to persevere for these past (almost) four years of weight loss (it will be 4 years on January 23rd 2013). I have got the pictures to prove it!
"Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh." Matt. 12: 34
The photo is of my Mother, Mabel Black.

Hope
Diamond Member

Re: This is My Story

Post by Hope » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Marjorie,
What a Wonderful testimony of how God worked in your life and has brought you so far! I am so happy for you and I know you will reach your goal. Your Loving Mother was a Awesome inspiration to you and I know she Loved God so much . I know your story will inspire so many it did me.

God Bless You Love Eva

Marjorie Johnston
Registered Member

Post by Marjorie Johnston » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:52 pm

I actually did it, with the help of the Lord!

I now have my certificate showing that I have achieved 25 BMI as of December 12, 2012. I lost 19 inches on my waist (now 31 inches), and I lost 5.5 inches from my neck (now 11.5 inches).

Weight 135.4 lb
BMI 24.8
Fat % 25.1 %
Water weight 74.2 lb

January 23, 2013 will be four years since I started this journey. Now the challenge is maintenance!

Love,
Marjorie
"Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh." Matt. 12: 34
The photo is of my Mother, Mabel Black.

yassine
Registered Member

Post by yassine » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:51 am

I just got diagnosed with Moderate SleepApnea (AHI 27). Even though the doctor hasnt really prescribed a CPAP machine yet but I tried out one anyways to see if it makes things better. I definitely did feel better after CPAP but I am trying to search if Yoga can help with sleep apnea.

I am not too keen on going the CPAP route because there is some research out there which seems to indicate that CPAP might instigate Central Sleep Apnea - which seems to me an even worse form than OSA.

There is some research online that says Pranayama Yoga can help. I did Kapalbhati for 2 days and it does seem to improve but as this duration is too small - maybe its not conclusive.

Posting here to check if anyone else has tried Yoga and Pranayama specifically to fix sleep apnea and if it has helped?