His Need Fulfilled--Orphanage Quilts

Post your artwork, photographs and videos here.
poet1108
Platinum Member

His Need Fulfilled--Orphanage Quilts

Post by poet1108 »

Shortly upon my return back to Tucson after a displacement from my daughter’s home in Illinois, I was befriended and taken in by Jean and Art in Tucson, AZ. I was able to create space in my bedroom for my sewing machine and once again began creating dolls for the homeless children as I had done during my tenure at my daughter’s home. Not long thereafter, I received a gift of multiple pieces of fabric from a dear friend, Nan. Somehow as if by magic that fabric never seemed to dwindle down. Several moves later and a marriage to my hubby Roger brought me to his home up on the plateau outside of Huachuca City, AZ. Upon seeing all my sewing paraphernalia, Roger converted a small RV into a sewing center for me. However without heat in the winter‘s cold and air conditioning in the summer’s heat, Roger then designed an 8’x2’ sewing table for me in the dining area of our mobile home. I would have natural light from the double windows by day and an overhead light by night. After my sewing machine was set in place, I could begin my projects.

By the middle of October 2011 after again assessing what to do with all the fabric, my Inner Voice suggested I design a child’s quilt-top and attach it to either fleece or flannel. Thus with plan in hand, I then spent several days cutting the center pieces and strips of fabric. Sewing came easy and the creativity exceeded all expectations. No two quilts were alike…each was unique as would the child be for whom the quilt blanket was made. A telephone call from Mary Ellen stating she would be willing to take the blankets to an orphanage in Naco, Mexico, close to where she lived in Bisbee, AZ. Now I had the “for whom” and “where” but not “how many”. Before Thanksgiving I had some 24 finished quilt tops. Three of these I had given to Jean so she could do a “show and tell” with the women at church in hopes of getting more fabric. For by now my supply was dwindling. This quilt-blanket project will continue into the New Year as from Jean’s efforts five more large boxes of fabric and a sack of fabric were sent my way.

These 21 quilts were given to Mary Ellen the evening of December 7th. She only needed 16 but again my Inner Voice said that I should give her the extras, one of which was a baby’s quilt. It was then she told me there were equal numbers of boys and girls and just today the orphanage had taken in a 2-month old baby. As tears formed in my eyes, I realized again, He had seen the need and had whispered that need to me and in my faith I simply made and gave. What an Awesome God we serve.

orphanage quilts 002.JPG
orphanage quilts 002.JPG (179.29 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
orphanage quilts 004-baby.JPG
orphanage quilts 004-baby.JPG (175.21 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
Attachments
orphanage quilts 001.JPG
orphanage quilts 001.JPG (154.5 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
Pokey's Heart
Diamond Member

Re: His Need Fulfilled--Orphanage Quilts

Post by Pokey's Heart »

Words just fail me, Kay. These are so beautiful and God loves a cheerful giver. Not only did you GIVE these, but they were also made by your precious hands. You will never know how many lives are touched, or how many bodies our Lord made that these will keep warm, in both material warmth, as well as warmth in their souls knowing someone loved and cared enough to make them. God bless you, Kay. I'm going to save all scrap pieces of fabric and send to you when I get a box ready...is there any particular size you need, Do you need me to cut them into any type of square? If we start now, by next year, (or even before, as the need is always there)..you can have bunches made!
I'll do anything I can to help, my friend.
Love you Kay,
Forever,
Pokey
poet1108
Platinum Member

Re: His Need Fulfilled--Orphanage Quilts

Post by poet1108 »

Pokey: Thank you for your gracious comments. The strips are cut 4-1/4 inches wide..... smallest length is 5-6". The size of the quilt-blanket varies but I try to stay about 52" x 46". When I get through using the longer strips and pieces that I have had to cut off, get set aside. These pieces then I spend time sewing together in one long, long strip and it comes out similar to the picture shown....more a mixed-up quilt and not a modified log cabin. It was suggested that black fabric not be used but I will use that only as a "frame" around the centerpiece. Mary Ellen said last night that she could not understand why the children grab for a blanket before a toy......and I said, it is because a blanket gives them warmth and comfort. How so very grateful I am to God for His idea and giving me the talents to implement, create, and find a home for..... I am very blessed doing these......I want to say, with my sewing God has always blessed me....when I was doing the dolls at my daughter's home, a foster mother down in your neck of the woods, saw what I was doing and sent me several boxes of fabric to fulfill my need.....I can never outguess my Heavenly Father God.....I am just humbled that HE chooses to use me........KayD
orphanage quilts 005.JPG
orphanage quilts 005.JPG (162.62 KiB) Viewed 2350 times